Book Mama

A Mama and her love of books. Come share what I've read. Reviewer for: CK2s Kwips and Kritiques

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

SAHM to 5 wonderful people. I'm a happy wife and mother who is shamelessly addicted to books. Come share them with me. My reviews are courtesy of CK2S Kwips and Kritiques.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner


From the Publisher
At first my eyes wouldn't make sense of the letters. Finally, they unscrambled. Loving a Larger Woman, said the headline, by Bruce Guberman. Bruce Guberman had been my boyfriend for just over three years, until we'd decided to take a break three months ago. And the larger woman, I could only assume, was me.
Cannie Shapiro never wanted to be famous. The smart, sharp, plus-sized pop culture reporter was perfectly content writing about other people's lives on the pages of the Philadelphia Examiner. But the day she opens up a national women's magazine to find out that her ex-boyfriend has been chronicling their ex-sex life is the day her life changes forever.
Loving a larger woman is an act of courage in our world, Bruce has written. And Cannie — who never knew that Bruce saw her as a "larger woman," or thought that loving her was an act of courage — is plunged into misery, and into the most amazing year of her life.
Radiant with wit, bursting with surprises, and written with bite and bittersweet humor, Jennifer Weiner's deliciously readable debut novel reaches beyond Cannie's story and into the heart of every woman. Gut-level real and laugh-out-loud funny, Good in Bed celebrates the courage of the human spirit, and features an unbelievably funny cast of supporting characters, the strangest dog you'll ever encounter, and a heroine you'll never forget.
My Comments: I can never read anything when it's new and everyone is talking about it. I always have to wait a few years and make sure it's wonderful for myself and not a lot of worthless hype. Oh. My. Gravy. Love this book. Love. It.
At first I just enjoyed the main character because we were about the same size and struggled with all the same things "larger women" do. Looking at yourself only from the neck up in mirrors. Wearing control top panties (Okay, it's a girdle. I'll just say it.) and control top pantyhose at the same time hoping to keep the stomach area under some semblence of control. Feeling invisible in a sea of skinny pretty people or wanting to feel invisible in a sea of skinny pretty people or even more interestingly feeling both at the same time. But it became so much more then that.
It was about family. About love. Relationships. It was hilarious and tragic and sweet and wonderful. It was about loving yourself in your own skin, no matter how much of it you may or may not have.
About 200 pages into the book, I thanked God above it was a Saturday because I was going to read and I wasn't going to stop until I was done. Mission acomplished! I cried. I smiled. I really, really cried. Smiled some more. Went and washed my face after crying again. And it all ended happily ever after! The end.
Keep It Or Pass It On?
I'm about to post it on www.paperbackswap.com from whence it came. I hope someone else will treasure it as much as I did!

2 Comments:

Blogger LoriM said...

He, ok I just posted on your other blog that you should read this one so I'm glad to see that you did. I have enjoyed all the weiner's I've read so far. What's next? I'm trying to find my reading mojo but haven't yet :(

7/01/2007 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this book too.

7/21/2007 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home