Book Mama

A Mama and her love of books. Come share what I've read. Reviewer for: CK2s Kwips and Kritiques

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

SAHM to 5 wonderful people. I'm a happy wife and mother who is shamelessly addicted to books. Come share them with me. My reviews are courtesy of CK2S Kwips and Kritiques.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Passion Betrayal and Killer Highlights by Kyra Davis



The Barnes & Noble Review
In Passion, Betrayal and Killer Highlights -- the sequel to Kyra Davis's 2005 debut novel, Sex, Murder and a Double Latte -- frappuccino-addicted murder mystery novelist and amateur sleuth Sophie Katz is faced with a new whodunit, this one involving her sister, Leah, and brother-in-law, Bob, who turn up dead only hours after confessing his infidelity.

With numerous bullets in Bob's head and his gun missing, Leah becomes the prime suspect. But Sophie knows her sister could never commit murder and, with the help of hunky Russian private investigator Anatoly Darinsky, sets off to find the real killer. It soon becomes apparent that Bob was far from an ethical man: He was cheating with not one but three women, and he might well have been involved in far more nefarious activities. But as Sophie and Anatoly close in on the killer, Leah -- the grieving widow -- decides to have her navel pierced and get burgundy highlights in her hair…

A witty and engaging blend of chick lit, pop culture, and amateur-sleuth whodunit, Davis's San Francisco-based saga will appeal not only to female readers but to any mystery fan who has an offbeat sense of humor. Davis effortlessly explores serious social issues -- racial discrimination, sexism, adultery, multiculturalism, etc. -- while keeping the mood light and laugh-out-loud funny. Additionally, the cornucopia of subtle symbolism throughout (like the exploding Barbie Dream House) is priceless. To borrow a line from the book: "Fabulous, absolutely fabulous!" Paul Goat Allen

My Comments:
I was really, really looking forward to this sequel to Sex Murder and a Double Latte. Unfortunately for me, I was in the middle of having the blah's and it translated to my book reading. I wasn't quite as engaged by this book, due to no fault of its own. It was all me. My bad.

The characters were just as engaging, although I could have used some more of Sophie's crazy friends that were more prominent in the first book. Sophie's sister, her sister's sister in law and brother in law's cast of bimbo's kept me more then entertained. Anatoly (Sophie's love interest) is as wonderful as ever and I will never look at chocolate covered espresso beans the same way.

It was a frappuccino mystery. Sweet, light, smooth and before you know it, you drank the whole darn thing! I hope Kyra Davis is going to be writing more in this fun series.

Keep It Or Pass It On?



I'll be passing it along to www.paperbackswap.com. See you there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home