Book Mama

A Mama and her love of books. Come share what I've read. Reviewer for: CK2s Kwips and Kritiques

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

SAHM to 5 wonderful people. I'm a happy wife and mother who is shamelessly addicted to books. Come share them with me. My reviews are courtesy of CK2S Kwips and Kritiques.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

California Demon by Julie Kenner



From the Publisher

Welcome to San Diablo. The perfect place to raise a couple of kids. And a lot of Hell.

What’s a mother to do, when there are only so many hours in the day, and the fate of the world is in her hands?

Kate Connor was a retired demon hunter. Now, after fourteen years busting her tail as a suburban housewife, raising two kids, and supporting her husband’s political ambitions, she’s rejoined the workforce -- and except for a few minions of evil, no one has a clue. She tries hard to keep her home and work lives separate -- a good idea when your job involves random slaughter.

Between fending off demon attacks, trying to figure out why the mysterious new teacher at the high school seems so strangely familiar, and keeping a watchful eye on her daughter’s growing infatuation with a surfer dude, Kate is the busiest -- and most dangerous-- soccer mom on the block...

"What would happen if Buffy the Vampire Slayer got married, moved to the suburbs and became a stay-at-home mom? She’d be a lot like Kate Connor." -- Publishers Weekly

My Comments:
Not quite as enthralling as the first in the series, Carpe Demon, but still a fun solid read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

There were some very interesting plot points in this second novel in the series. Is her daughter's new teacher a demon or her father somehow reincarnated? Will her new husband and daughter find out that she's really a demon hunter and not just wife and Mom? Will her son Timmy get used to his new move from crib to big boy bed? Yes, all those questions and more plague our heroine.

And I personally cannot wait for Demons Are Forever due out July 3rd!

Keep It Or Pass It On?
I'm actually letting my 14 year old read it. She really enjoyed Kenner's A Good Goul's Guide to Getting Even, and there was nothing I thought was inappropriate in this one.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHHHH THIS IS cool! BTW, when we had just the honda CIVIC, the girls would double buckle in the front seat so I FEEL your pain with the van and the seat thing. We'd SO do the same thing. wow, I have to check this out. This is really good, Terri

5/10/2007 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home