Book Mama

A Mama and her love of books. Come share what I've read. Reviewer for: CK2s Kwips and Kritiques

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

SAHM to 5 wonderful people. I'm a happy wife and mother who is shamelessly addicted to books. Come share them with me. My reviews are courtesy of CK2S Kwips and Kritiques.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer



From the Publisher

Readers captivated by Twilight and New Moon will eagerly devour Eclipse, the much anticipated third book in Stephenie Meyer's riveting vampire love saga.

As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob -- knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?

My Comments: This is the third book in the charming vampire romance series. To say it was eagerly awaited would be a gross understatement.

In Eclipse, I struggled with Bella’s selfish and immature nature at first. It would have been off putting if Bella wasn’t such a realistic, fully flushed out character. But it provided room for a lot of growth for Bella and invaluable learning experiences that I’m sure will play into her future.

Bella’s relationships with the inevitable enemies of vampire and werewolf is more exciting then I imagined, bringing a lot of growth to some characters I’ve adored more with each addition to this series.

The ultimate confrontation in the end filled me with delicious nervous tension I’ve come to expect from Meyer’s books. It was a beautifully choreographed dance I didn’t want to be over. The timing was great. The pacing was perfect, keeping me interested and reluctant to put it down.

If you’re an adult, don’t let the “Young Adult” category scare you away from one of the most classic versions of a substantial love of a lifetime, a tempting love triangle that could have you wishing for fur or fangs. Once you get away from the high school setting, which takes up such a small part of this story, you’ll find a surprisingly deep, resonating tale.

I appreciated the parallels to Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte that the author led us to. In New Moon, the second book in this series, the comparison to Romeo and Juliet was palpable. I found it to be a unique and clever way of interesting the reader in classic literature if they weren’t already. Or those of us who are a little familiar with it will enjoy the new twist on an old, much loved story. It inspired my daughter and me to explore Wuthering Heights together. Since Bella loved it so much, I’m sure she will enjoy it too.

As a mother, I can’t express how much I appreciated the care the author took with many sensitive issues such as morality, mortality, premarital sex, the consequences of losing ones soul and the responsibility that comes with becoming an adult. I felt comfortable reading and sharing these books with my teenager and the thought provoking discussions that Eclipse has led us to.

Meyer’s writing is the very definition of captivating no matter what your age. It was priceless to share Eclipse with my daughter. I’ll treasure the long talks we had about Bella and Edward and Jacob and the consequences of their decisions. What a wonderful gift Meyer gave us and future generations of mothers and daughters to come.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you! What a wonderful series.

8/28/2007 9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I visit your blog often, but refuse to read about Eclipse. The reason is I haven't read it yet and have avoid any chat concerning the book...lol!

I should have the book in about a week and will pop back by to read what you had to say.

I am sooooo excited! :)

9/07/2007 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home