Book Mama

A Mama and her love of books. Come share what I've read. Reviewer for: CK2s Kwips and Kritiques

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

SAHM to 5 wonderful people. I'm a happy wife and mother who is shamelessly addicted to books. Come share them with me. My reviews are courtesy of CK2S Kwips and Kritiques.

Monday, December 01, 2008

Even Now by Karen Kingsbury


This is my first book by “The Queen of Christian Fiction”, Karen Kingsbury, and it certainly won’t be my last. Planning to only read a few pages, I was immediately transported and lost myself in the story.

The flashback in the beginning of the novel seamlessly flowed into the rest of the plot giving us a hint of what to look for and still hungry to discover how the events unfolded.

The characters were tangible and very relatable. These people had flaws just like anyone else and paid terrible prices for their decisions. The reader isn’t preached at, as is sometimes a complaint with Christian Fiction, but is simply told a story.

Fraught with beautiful sentimentality, Kingsbury weaves an intricate tale of love and loss, forgiveness and faith. The only flaw in this having to swallow the reasons why these people haven’t been able to find one another in this day and age. But the overall storytelling more than makes up for the suspension of disbelief one must sustain.

Handled with delicate non-partisanship, current issues of Afghanistan and the Iraq war are woven into the story , bringing even more realism. This is an integral part of the story as we’re asked to believe two families have spent 18 years looking for each other with no success.

I’ve already recommended this book to friends and family and look forward to sharing more of Karen Kingsbury’s stories of faith and hope in the future.

3 Comments:

Blogger Smart Mouth Broad said...

I'll have to check this book out but there's no time for reading right now. That will have to wait until the first of the year or at least til after Christmas. Have you ever heard of the Yada Yada Prayer Group. It's a great Christian fiction series.

12/11/2008 8:54 PM  
Blogger Grandma Elsie said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope you will come back again. I post about what ever takes my fancy.
I too love to read .I belong to guideposts books so i know what I am getting is a clean book.
I have been knitting socks for about ..5-6 years and I really started out with the pattern on the inside of the yarn wrapper which was one at a time cuff down. I always hated to do the second second ..so..... I found this lady's book..Queen Quhana here;
http://www.queenkahuna-creations.com/
It is visual as well as written instructions and started doing them toe up 2 @ a time on 2 circular needles. I love it.
Some thinks its too wordy but others like me need it so ... go there and read about it and see what you think. You can only buy the book from her , Keeps cost down.
You can design your own pattern with her way, She is Mary Ann Beatties. no affiliation..
Oh and I get all my needles from Knitpicks.com .They are the cheapest and i love them better than any I have ever used in about 40 years of knitting.
Elsie <><

11/10/2009 7:41 AM  
Blogger Grandma Elsie said...

Here are some sites with small socks to get you started. Do them first;
http://knitting.about.com/lr/christmas_knitting_patterns/596212/2/
Also here is Knitting Daily's free sock patterns and help blog.
http://www.knittingdaily.com/topics/sock-knitting.aspx
Hope this will help you get started.
I think they are easy to do if you know k & P stitches.
good luck
Elsie <><
Good luck.

11/11/2009 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home