Book Mama

A Mama and her love of books. Come share what I've read. Reviewer for: CK2s Kwips and Kritiques

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

SAHM to 5 wonderful people. I'm a happy wife and mother who is shamelessly addicted to books. Come share them with me. My reviews are courtesy of CK2S Kwips and Kritiques.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Don't Talk Back to Your Vampire by Michele Bardsley


Being a single mother is hard enough. Now try being an undead single mother who bursts into flames at the first whisper of sunlight, and has to drink blood to survive while raising a teenager. Yes, Eva LeRoy, town librarian at Broken Heart, Oklahoma is a vampire.

Everyone is adjusting pretty well, except for the rogue group trying to kill her and/or use her new special abilities for their gain. And oddly enough, the only man who really makes her undead heart go pitter pat is the vampire who killed her.

Let me just get all the crazy gushing out of the way. I was completely enamored with this book from the first page, possibly even the first paragraph. The author had me at “once upon a time”. I can’t remember the last time a book grabbed me by the throat and sunk it’s fangs in this deep!

Okay, now on to the business end of this review.

It was unusual for me to start with the second book in any series, but I was wacky this time and did the unthinkable. These books do stand alone, thank goodness, but I’ll be picking up I’m the Vampire That’s Why as soon as stores open at the crack of dawn.

I just love paranormal romance with a sense of humor. It’s sometimes embarrassing when I’m sitting in the car waiting in line and I start laughing like a crazy person while people point and stare, but in this case, it was worth it. I am too nice of a person to name names, but for me, this series has replaced another one about a vampire with a certain shoe fetish and a cranky demeanor. I’m sorry, but it had to be said.

Is there anything sexier than a brooding Irish vampire? Yeah, I didn’t think so. The chemistry between Eva and Lorcan O'Halloran is sizzling. While Lorcan has some major guilt for murdering Eva (oops, but it wasn’t really his fault, he was sick with The Taint, a debilitating vampire disease), he still manages to be sensual and appealing. Especially to Eva. Ironic, no? Eva is a fun character and surprisingly easy to relate to considering she’s a vampire. Her personality leaps off the pages.

What fantastic and unique use of vocabulary! The author has got to be a serious logophile. Since Eva is a librarian, there was plenty of opportunity for her to flex her verbal muscles and I ate it up like it was candy.

I’m looking forward to spending a lot more time in Broken Heart, Oklahoma and I recommend that you do the same!


Reviewed by: Terri

Email: terri@ck2skwipsandkritiques.com

1 Comments:

Blogger YankeeChick said...

Is this the 1st of a series? Sounds so good. I must manage my time better and set aside some time each day for reading so I can get back with it!!!

2/21/2008 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home